JPP instructions for Referees
The Journal of Plant Pathology (JPP) publishes original research papers, short communications, disease notes, and minireviews on fundamental and applied aspects of plant pathology. All contributions undergo peer review.
The Editorial Board consists of an Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editors, each with expertise in one of the major sectors of plant pathology (mycology, bacteriology, phytoplasmatology, and virology), and a number of Associate Editors with a wide array of competences.
The reviewing process can be outlined as follows:
- Manuscripts for publication are submitted on line to a Senior Editor of the author’s choice.
- Senior Editors will themselves identify two referees or ask an appropriate Associate Editor to choose two referees. These will review the paper and refer back to them comments and suggestions on suitability for publication (acceptance, conditional acceptance, rejection).
- The referees selected will receive an automated e-mail asking for their availability to review a paper. They should not reply by e-mail, but log on to the Journal web site to accept/decline to review and have access to the manuscript and to the review form. To keep the reviewing process as quick as possible, reviewers are kindly asked to accept/decline the invitation within five days and to complete the review in 21 days. The identity of the referees is unknown to the authors: we recommend not to disclose your identity.
- To accept/decline the invitation, referees must go to the Submissions list and select the option (accept/decline) in the Submitted articles list. If they decline the invitation to do the review, the pdf file will automatically be removed from the panel and will no longer be available. The Editor will automatically be alerted.
- Once a referee has accepted to review a paper, this will be moved by the on line submission system to the Articles under revision list. By clicking Accept, the evaulation form will be displayed.
Major points to be considered when reviewing a manuscript are clearly indicated in the evaluation form, with particular regard to the scientific significance of the results and the overall organization of the paper. A general judgement on suitability for publication in JPP (accept as such, accept with minor/major revisions, reject) is requested.
Comments and suggestions for authors must be written in the specific field and are expected to be clear and extensive. Confidential comments to the editor can be placed in the specific box and will not be disclosed to the authors. When finished, click Submit.
- The Senior Editor alone is responsible for the final decision on publication. Thus, you are kindly requested not to contact the authors directly for any supplementary explanation. Please also remember that the manuscript you are revising is confidential and must not be used or cited before publication.
We understand the reviewing process is time-consuming and requires much attention and dedication. We would therefore like to thank you very much indeed for your much appreciated support of the Journal.